We’ve all looked in the mirror and asked, “Do I look my age?”We want to prevent aging, reverse aging or just age gracefully.Our skin is a reflection of our health, so how do we keep our skin looking younger and healthier?Here are a few skin-friendly, nutrient rich foods to help keep you looking your best. They can easily be incorporated into your diet for a healthier, younger looking you.
1. Throw on some BERRIES… Blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and plums! These fruits are high-antioxidant foods.Foods rich in antioxidants help slow aging at the cellular level.Antioxidants may help reduce the risk of sun damage by reducing the number of free radicals in your body (unstable molecules that damage cells).Free radicals can damage cells and add to wrinkles in your skin.
(The major antioxidant vitamins are Vitamin A, C and E.These healing antioxidants are needed by your body for cell repair and healthy skin.)
2. Get an A in Health…Vitamin A that is! Low-fat dairy productsare a healthy choice for Vitamin A as well as Carotenoids.Carotenoids are red, yellow and orange fruits and vegetables which the body can convert into Vitamin A.They include: carrots, sweet potatoes and red peppers.
3. Feed your skin with Vitamin C Vitamin C found in citrus contributes to the formation of collagen.Collagen is a protein that binds cells and tissues together.Collagen helps to keep your skin firm and reduce wrinkles. Good sources of Vitamin C include: oranges, grapefruit, kiwis, strawberries, papayas, broccoli, and kale.
4. Moisturize your skin with the food you eat Vitamin E has rich oils that condition and moisturize your skin.This antioxidant may help protect against skin damage and premature aging.Vitamin E rich foods include:canola oil, almonds, peanut butter, sunflower seeds and spinach.
5. Protect your skin from the inside Essential Fatty Acids (Omega-3’s) and Monounsaturated Fatty Acids (MUFAs) are also key foods for healthy skin and they may help protect your skin from sun damage.These Omega-3 and MUFA rich foods should be included in every healthy diet:fish, ground flaxseed, walnuts, olive oil, canola oil, avocados and almonds.
6. Drink to your skin’s health Another component of healthy, younger looking skin is waterconsumption.It is important to stay hydrated.Keep a reusable water bottle handy throughout your day.
7.Healthy lifestyle tips to live by… Quitting smoking, limiting alcohol, regular exercise, adequate sleep and stress reduction will also help to keep your skin healthy.All of these tips encompass a healthier lifestyle, which will lead to a glowing complexion and a healthier you...
We all continue to chase after the “Fountain of Youth” in many different ways so let’s just remember to eat healthier along the way.